Torgau - the wet nurse of reformation
Torgau is the only memorial place to Martin Luther in Saxony. He often came to the town where not only the elector but also open-minded citizens supported his ideas. It was in Nikolai Church where for the first time baptizing was done using the German language; the town council expelled begging monks, and one for the councillors was responsible for freeing nine nuns at Nimbschen. Among them was Katharina von Bora, who later became Luther´s wife.
 
In Torgau the Protestant dukes signed a treaty of mutual assistance, and it was here where Luther and his friends worked out the articles that later became the basis of the Augsburg Confession. Consequently, the town has often been called the "wet nurse" of reformation.
 
In 1500, about 3.000 people lived in Torgau. 50 years later, due to the construction of the castle, the number of inhabitants had more than doubled. Important people worked here: the Reformers Melanchthon, Jonas and Bugenhagen, the architects Konrad Krebs and Nickel Grohmann, the physician and scientist Johann Kenntmann, the composer Johann Walter and the painter Lucas Cranach the Elder.
 
Hand in hand with the flourishing culture the economic development of the town led to building activities, the result of which can still be seen everywhere in Torgau.
 
Luthers wife was buried in Torgau. When in 1552 she tried to escape from the plague in Wittenberg, there was a road accident in which she was injured. She died in Torgau and was buried in St. Mary´s Church.


Seite empfehlen | |